- This event has passed.
Gaia by Night at Chester Cathedral
February 7, 2023 at 9:30 am - March 5, 2023 at 5:00 pm
The installation creates a sense of the Overview Effect, which was first described by author Frank White in 1987. Common features of the experience for astronauts are a feeling of awe for the planet, a profound understanding of the interconnection of all life, and a renewed sense of responsibility for taking care of the environment. Watch this great film about the phenomenon.
The artwork also acts as a mirror to major events in society. In light of the current COVID-19 pandemic, the artwork may provide the viewer with a new perspective of our place on the planet; a sense that societies of the Earth are all interconnected and that we have a responsibility toward one another. After the lockdown, there has been a renewed respect for nature.
In Greek Mythology Gaia is the personification of the Earth.
Gaia has been created in partnership with the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), Bluedot and the UK Association for Science and Discovery Centres.
Entry to view Gaia is free of charge, however, donations are welcome. Your donation to Chester Cathedral helps to maintain the magnificent building and its estate for future generations and also enables them to host events such as Gaia.
Tuesday 7th February and Sunday 5th March we will be opening late for you to experience Gaia in the darkened Cathedral, accompanied by the exclusive soundtrack. A different offering to Gaia by day – a fully immersive experience.
- Entry charges apply when visiting during the evening and tickets must be booked in advance; online, from our Admissions desk, or by calling 01244 500959
- Ticketing is staggered in 30 minute time slots. Please do not arrive outside of your allocated slot, so that we can monitor numbers
- Please note, we are unable to transfer your tickets to another slot
- Spaces are limited – early booking is encouraged!
- Queues are likely for this event – we will do our best to get everyone admitted in the most efficient manner possible