On Tuesday 13th February, people across the nation will be greasing their frying pans, mixing their batter and flipping their way to the perfect pancake!
However, if you don’t fancy getting you’re frying pan out this year, Chester has a selection of restaurant serving delicious crepes and pancakes all year round!
Crêpeaffaire – Bridge Street
Crêpeaffaire is the ‘new kid on the block’ to Chester and it serves a wide selection of sweet and savory Crepes.
The pancakes are prepared in front of you and there are healthy options available for anyone who is still on their New Year health kick.
Check out their menu to see what’s baking – from super indulgent crêpes and waffles to deliciously healthy gluten-free galettes made with organic buckwheat flour.
Gino’s Gelato – Northgate Street
Now, anyone that has been to Ginno’s Gelato will know that their gelato is AMAZING but did you also know that they serve crepes and waffles?
The Gino Gelato family tradition in the ice cream business began in the late 1960s when they started selling ice cream to holidaymakers along the seafront.Today you will find Gino’s Gelato in the high street or shopping stores of selected towns and cities.
The company like to create those ‘special memories’ of ice cream on the go and their authentic Italian gelato is made fresh in each store daily.
Why not try a crepe with your Gelato this time? Check out their crepe menu to get your taste buds tantalised.
Top Tip – Gino’s Gelato will be giving away FREE Lemon and Sugar crepes from 9am – 12pm this pancake day!
Leonidas – Bridge Street
Since his very first creations, Leonidas’ recipe for success is based on the virtue of impeccable freshness.
Today, Leonidas makes more than 100 varieties of Belgian chocolates of the highest quality and freshness – never using frozen products and always using chocolate made of 100% pure cocoa butter.
Leonidas offer a selection of sweet Crepes in their Chester store that make the perfect sweet treat with a Belgium twist this pancake day.
5 fun Pancake facts
- Pancakes were originally created as a way to use up all the leftover fatty and rich foods before Lent began on Ash Wednesday
- The Guinness World Record for the most pancakes served in eight hours is 34,818
- The record for the highest pancake toss is 9.47m (31ft 1in) made in New York in 2010
- Pancake races happen all over England throughout Shrove Tuesday. The tradition is thought to have originated in Olney in the 15th century, after a woman lost track of time while cooking pancakes. When the bells for mass rang, she ran out of her house with the pan and pancake still in hand. Olney still holds a pancake race every year.
- The largest number of pancake flips in the shortest amount of time is currently 349 flips in two minutes, a record achieved by Dean Gould in Felixstowe, Suffolk, in 1995.
Crepe Affaire Recipe: The Ham and Cheese Crepe
For the batter: 100 g organic flour, 2 eggs, 300 ml semi-skimmed milk, 1 tea spoon oil
Toppings: cheddar cheese, Wiltshire Ham.
- Mix all ingredients for the batter in a bowl.
- Oil the pan and ladle some batter into it, tilting the pan to move the mixture around for a thin and even layer.
3. Flipping pancakes: Hold the pan’s handle, ease a fish slice under the pancake, then quickly lift and flip it over
- Spread your ingredients on the crepe: first the grated cheddar and add some pieces of ham on the crepe
- Fold the crepe in 2 and leave it for 15 seconds