Established in 1770, Lowe & Sons, based on Bridge Street Row is Chester’s oldest independent jewellers, and is believed to be the second-oldest independent jeweller in the country.
Lowe & Sons was founded in 1770 in Chester by the Lowe family. The original shop was situated near St Peters Church at the cross, but it was demolished in 1804 so the road could be widened.
The Lowe family purchased No. 11 Bridge Street Row in 1804 and moved the shop from the original premises which was situated where the Chester Cross is now.
In 1912 Fifth Officer Harold Lowe was aboard the Titanic, he managed to assist numerous passengers into the lifeboats before being ordered to get into lifeboat 14 himself. After dropping off the passengers, he returned to the site of the disaster to rescue any survivors, which included the only female to survive being in the freezing ocean, Rhoda Abbott.
In 1947 Lowe & Sons gave gifts of silver to The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh for their wedding. The Queen sent a letter of thanks for her new salver by Paul Storr, entrée dishes and sauce boats.
The Chester Assay Office closed in the August of 1962. The last piece of silver to bear the Chester hallmark was made by Francis Lowe of Lowe & Sons, and marked by Vincent Ward the last Chester Assay Master.
At the end of 2018, the shop benefited from a thorough restoration by the new owners, Greg and Will Powell of Powells Fine Jewellery bringing the shop back to it’s former glory with beautiful and traditional interior. This store is more than just jewellery, come along to Lowe & Son Bridge Street Row to find candelabras, perfume bottles, solid silver serving dishes and maybe the odd hippopotamus!
Lowe & Sons have also kindly donated a special prize for this years Be My Valentine Trail across Chester city centre. Learn how you can win this beautiful Edwardian gold heart locket and chain plus a Sweetheart Mizpah Brooch here.
Visit Lowe & Sons at 11 Bridge Street Row, Chester or ring them on 01244 325850
Find out more about Love in Chester here.