3.3 Mile / 6km Circular Walk
This is the ultimate way to explore the whole of the city, taking you from the Visitor Information Centre along the Shropshire Union Canal, River Dee, through Grosvenor Park and even around the racecourse. Experience everything Chester has to offer on this great circular walk!
Start at the Visitor Information Centre at the Town Hall on Northgate Street
1. Head north up Northgate Street, turning left onto Water Tower Street at The Liverpool Arms.
2. Go through the city wall at the opening onto the canal tow path, heading west toward Telford’s Warehouse.
3. Keep following the tow path under the bridges and past Telford’s Warehouse.
4. Cross over the canal using the small bridge at the locks, then head down Catherine Street.
5. Turn left onto New Crane Street.
6. Turn slightly right to access the riverside path. Keeping the river on your right, follow the path to the Racecourse.
7. You will arrive at the railway bridge, go under the bridge to access the Racecourse path. Follow this around and take in the views of the city.
8. Exit the racecourse path onto the Little Roodee car park. Follow the river all the way to the Groves.
9. Follow Souter’s Lane.
10. Turn right onto Little St. John Street / Vicar’s Lane / Grosvenor Park Road and follow this, keeping Grosvenor Park on your right; then take The Headlands onto Dee Lane.
11. Turn left on Dee Lane toward the A51 / Ring Road, Crossing the ring road onto Russell Street.
12. Follow Russell Street to the canal.
13. Turn left at the canal and, keeping it on your right, follow it for about 1km / 0.7miles.
14. You have reached where you joined the canal towpath.
Be sure to Tag @Chester_BID #Chester on Instagram