Chester BID celebrate success of Watergate Street Festival
Chester BID brought together the businesses of Watergate Street to celebrate the wonderful eclectic nature of the city’s iconic street
On Saturday 03 September the team at Chester BID brought together the traders, shopkeepers, restauranteurs and artisans of Watergate Street to create a street festival for the day.
Businesses came outside their four walls to bring activities to the street for all the family to enjoy. The public were invited to make giant bubbles with toy shop, Weasel and The Bug and parents could sample tasters with Assembly while their children were experimenting with their creativity at Watergate Street Gallery’s Drop in and Draw sessions on the street.
Circus performers created a mini-circus skills workshop which saw children and adults queuing to take their turn at spinning plates, trapeze and aerial silk acrobatics.
A New Orlean style band, The King Brasstards, roamed up and down Watergate Street closely followed by groups of people dancing in the street.
A cappella group, Contraband, sang outside Vin Santo entertaining those enjoying the street’s al fresco spots and local artists, Julie Colclough and Alison Bradley created art live in the street and up on the historic rows.
Luka Morrell, Business Engagement Manager said: ‘The festival was a complete success. We set out to create an event to celebrate the end of the summer holidays with the children and have ignited the street.”
She added: ‘The businesses are overjoyed with how the the event went and already asking to start organising the next one. We hope this will become an annual celebration for all.’
What’s was on?
- Stile Napoletano – The team at Stile Napoletano were outside their little slice of Italy in Watergate Street serving their Street Food Wallet Pizzas
- Alison Bradley Gallery – Local Artist, Alison Bradley created art in front of our eyes, sketching outside in the street throughout the day. Her subjects cover Snowdonia & North Wales, Lake District, and Chester, among many others.
- Scissors – Gave sweets for the kids on the day.
- Julie Colclough Gallery – Julie brought her gallery outdoors throughout the festival and will created an art piece right outside on the Rows.
- Harriet & Dee – Find the Jellycat Dog in the window. Customers visited the card and giftware shop to find the dog teddy and enter with the team to win him and his Jellycat cake!
- Palm Chester – The team at Palm were outdoors offering food & drink samples from their delectable menu and showing off their skills with some live demonstrations too.
- Watergate Street Gallery – One for all of the family; Drop in & Draw. All were welcome to take a seat in the gallery’s al fresco area and create a beautiful piece of art of their own to take home with them while enjoying our live entertainment.
- Assembly – The team at Assembly provided Tapas tasters on street, along with Sangria inside. Customers watched the festival go by in their perfect viewing window.
- Morgan – Offered customers to enjoy a glass of fizz.
- Vin Santo – Watergate Street’s independent wine merchant and bar had charcuterie & cheese cones plus you could enjoy live performances from local A Capella barbershop quartet, Contraband.
- Weasel & The Bug – The team were blowing bubbles throughout the day with giant bubble wands!
- Pars Kahve – Chester’s Turkish Kitchen & Bazaar held a Street Bazaar and celebrating their 1st Birthday on Watergate Street!
- Beer Heroes – Played Beer Pong for Prizes!
- Phase Eight – Offered a personal shopping experience. Customers could pop in for fizz and cupcakes while they browse their modern collection of feel-good pieces for day-to-day and occasion ware.
- Bravissimo – Customers could visit the team for a bespoke service. All customers who purchased on the day were entered into a raffle to win a £50 voucher.
- The Flower Cup – Were offering guests to taste their Biscoff French Toast.
- Bar Lounge – Their expert bartenders were out on street with Mocktail tasters.
- Costa – Keep cool with the Costa team. who offered Iced Drinks outside.
- Olive Tree Brasserie – Were on the rows Alfresco area to taste the med with free canapes.
We were be joined by two circus performers throughout the day who will travel up and down Watergate Street, both at street level and on the Rows and inviting children and the big kids to join in with circus skills workshops! A sure-fire winner for children of all ages!
Watergate Street will also see the return of New Orleans style roaming brass band, The King Brasstards. These guys bring a party with them and really do attract a crowd! They’ll be roaming up and down the street and getting those toes tapping!
Did you catch Chester BIDs Carl on BBC Radio Merseyside on Friday the 2nd September? Speaking to @LisaMarrey1 about all things Watergate Street Festival!
More information can be found at: https://experiencechester.co.uk/
For more information, visit www.ChesterBID.co.uk